You have just had some crowns or fixed bridges cemented onto your teeth. They will replace your missing tooth structure or missing teeth very well and should give you years of service if you will observe the following suggestions:
CHEWING: Do not chew hard or sticky foods on the restorations for 24 hours from the time they are cemented. The cement must mature to have optimum strength.
CONTINUING CARE: Visit us at regular intervals as discussed with your doctor or hygienist. Often problems that are developing around restorations can be found at an early stage and corrected easily, while waiting for a longer time may require redoing the entire restoration.Inadequate return for examination is the most significant reason for protheses failure. We will contact you when it is time for your appointment.
PREVENTIVE PROCEDURES: Use the following preventive procedures that are checked:
- Brushing and flossing after eating and especially before bedtime.
- Swish vigorously with Colgate FLUORIGARD or Johnson & Johnson ACT mouthrinse for 30 seconds daily before bedtime (.05% neutral sodium fluoride).
- Brush with Colgate Prevident or Gel Kam (0.4% stannous fluoride) daily before bedtime.(This is available in our office.)
- Use the Rotodent as advised by us.
- Use bridge cleaners as advised by us.
SENSITIVITY: Don’t worry about mild sensitivity to hot or cold foods. It will disappear gradually over a few weeks.
AGGRESSIVE CHEWING: Do not chew ice or other very hard objects. Avoid chewing very sticky “hard tacky” candy because it can remove restorations.
PROBLEMS: If one or more of the following conditions occurs, please contact us to avoid further problems:
- A feeling of movement or looseness in the restoration.
- Sensitivity to hot, cold, or sweet foods that doesn’t disappear in a few weeks.
- A peculiar taste from the restoration site.
- Breakage of a piece of material from the restoration.
- Sensitivity to pressure.
We have done our best to provide you with the finest quality oral restorations available today. However, as with a fine automobile or watch, only your continuing care and concern can assure optimum service longevity.